Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fortune response 3

I guess after reading chapters 3,4,and 5 of Fortune, I m still lost at times in his style of reading. I am able to keep track for a while, then all of the sudden lose it. I guess this is just his style and I will eventually grasp his ideas and concepts and get a feel for how he writes.
I do find it interesting how he feels the need to include us not only in his experiences with decode, but also with his life. He talks about his friends and the way he handles things while he is in Iceland.
I noticed how he continues to use many of the same words through out his chapters like chiasma and lava like, and of course he always brings up the "promise" and how the promise of DeCode might look like, or what it might be. He also seems to mention how things move so quickly what I think he is implying is that science is so fast pace and the study of genomics is so fast pace that the promise is continuing to change?
I think fortune is also trying to get his point across that with things moving so fast and always changing that we will not always know the outcome of situations, but that the promise is still there, we just don't know how it will look until it has been accomplished.
I will say that I am liking the personal feeling we get from him when reading his book , he lets you know his struggles along the way with DeCode. You can see that it is troublesome for him to be in Iceland at times. The guys doesn't even know the language, so many times he doesn't understand what is being said all around him. He is always sure to let us know the little detail like getting the DeCode t-shirts.
One last thing I was confused about, which I'm sure was very clear in the reading, I just wasn't able to grasp that part was who was Kari? I didn't quite understand his part in the chapter. Was he for DeCode or against it? I was confused on who he was I guess?

1 comment:

  1. Let's start with Kari. deCODE Genetics is his creation; he's the head of it (and hence Fortun's reason for writing KariXdeCODE; they are intimately intertwined). You are on target in suggesting that the rapid pace of things means the promise changes. You might keep an eye out for "evidence" that this is so as we read on. Fortun does indeed make repeated use of the images that are primary for him (lava, the X,...); he wants to be sure to "see" things through the lens of those images and concepts. This does mean that sometimes the writing and the arguments are challenging and push us to say, "Wait a minute, what did he just say?" and requiring that we re-read sections. Finally, I note that you appreciate the "personal" part of Fortun's account. You might take special note of WHERE and in WHAT CONTEXTS the "personal" shows up in the book. It's unlikely Fortun does this as though at random.

    ReplyDelete